After The Smoke Clears

General Information

Pets: Smoke can damage the lungs of your pet and embers can cause painful burns, which may stay hidden under the animal's fur. Please take your pet to a veterinarian as soon as possible after it has been exposed to fire. If your pet is lost at the fire scene, check with the neighbors first then call the Sampson County Animal Shelter at 592-8493 or the closest Humane Society in Burgaw, NC at 910-259-7022. 
Perishables: Any food, beverage or medicine exposed to heat or smoke should not be consumed. Medicine can change strength from exposure to heat. Check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicine that's been exposed to prolonged heat. High temperatures also spoil food and beverages, so throw these items away. It's much safer to replace these items than to risk your health by consuming them. If in doubt, pitch it out! 
Cash or Negotiables: If burned, handle cash, negotiable and valuable papers with extreme care. Put each item in plastic wrap or a plastic bag to preserve it. Then take everything to your bank or attorney for advice concerning replacement.

Insurance Information

If You're Insured: If you are insured, contact your insurance company or agent as soon as possible after the fire. If you're renting the property, you should also contact the owner. Your insurance company might be able to help in making immediate repairs, securing your property, or helping with temporary housing. If you can't contact your insurance carrier and need help boarding up the property, call a general contractor or fire damage restoration company. Look in your yellow pages under Contractors General, or Fire Damage Repairs and Cleaning.
One of the first things most insurance companies will need is a copy of the fire report. To get a copy of this report, have your insurance agent contact the Clinton Fire Department at 299-4902.

If You Are Not Insured: If you are not insured, or if your policy will not cover the loss, contact your family lawyer or the Internal Revenue Service for directions. You might be eligible for casualty loss assistance. 

Immediate Assistance: Assistance is available through The American Red Cross. They are available 24-hours-a-day, seven days a week and can help with food, clothing, temporary housing and other needs. Call The American Red Cross, Hylands-Fayetteville Chapter at 910-867-8151.